torsdag 16 oktober 2008

Arbetsförmedlingen in snobby quarters

Yesterday afternoon I went to an arbetsförmedlingen office in the "snobbier" part of Stockholm. I was in for a surprise. Having thought that all AFs were plain offices full of jobless people whose eyes remind one of a deer caught in the headlights, stressed ladies manning the reception and the uncomfortable air of arbetslöshet, I was taken aback by the relative plushness of the offices. Now do not think deep carpets and old french paintings... no, but the location of the offices in the heart of snobtown, the beautiful marble stairs leading up to the first floor space. The ornately decorated high ceilings, the fresh smell, crisply upholstered waiting chairs, privacy dealing separating the large airy reception with a big window covering it in beautiful light from the waiting area. Everything was beautiful and surely fit for this snobby place. I think though that all other AFs should be designed this way to improve the self esteem and lift the spirits of the arbetslösa. 

The visit went really well. Having been told by a relatively snotty lady at reception. (Who I had tried to charm with my open smile) that I could not possibly see the person I had been referred to without an appointment, I told her that I had called and left a message the previous day without a call back. She went on to say "only yesterday!?" with a sneery smile that you give to five year olds who do not know what they are doing. "Well that is too early" she said. "Sometimes it takes up to several days before she can get back to you.". I thought, "Herregud! Is this some kind of high level government office where the super godly boss is too busy to answer voicemails for days!?". 
Well, I told her I could wait to see if the lady would see me or I would try to make an appointment now! Rolling her eyes, she sofetned a bit but kept repaeting, like a mantra, how busy this lady was. Afetr a few minutes waiting I managed to see this BUSY lady. Who turned out to be really pleasant and helpful. She seems a type A personality though. Trying to rush through things and life. But that is just my opinion. 
She explained to me a lot of what I already know, and told her I had already been through. Maybe this was to help her memorise the procedure too. She then told me to call the studierektor who would be responsible for employing me (whom I told her I had already been in touch with) and see how things go. I would then give her a call and caht about how things are going next monday.
One would ask why I went there and what I benefit from AF. It is simply the ability to have someone who Ican explain to what I have done so far, who would then confirm that I am on the right track or that I am navigating the system wrong. Somebody who knows the swedish healthworker system and how to get me in as soon as possible.
Now I am further along the road. Found an e amil from the Studierektor that I replied last night. I gave more info on who would be paying my salary and all. Yes, AF was very helpful after all since they had given me this information which I was then able to use. :-)
So, another day today and a continuation of my job hunt.

Inga kommentarer: