måndag 13 oktober 2008

Jobhunting in Stockholm

Another semi productive day. 
After making copies of my documents I set off for Liljeholmen where the AF for this area lies. Having learnt that sunshine does not necessarily translate to warmth in the northern hemisphere, I wrapped myself in my down jacket and ran to the t-bana. The visit to AF was productive. Though it originally had threatened to end in disappointment. Apparently their computer system was down and this lady announced( after I had been waiting for an hour plus) that we would all need to come back another day since the computers were not working. (They were actually but maybe the intranet or something was not working). 
A though came to me then, what did people use to do before computers came? I mean, how can they just not work coz the computers are down? Can you imagine those poor jobless people who, just like me had been waiting? Well, I told the lady manning reception that I believed my errand did not require a computer. She first sceptically asked what I thought could be done without a computer. After explaining, she seemed to believe me and showed me to these really helpful people. A beautiful cheerful lady. She was not physically beautiful but she was so attractive because she radiated happiness. She in turn referred me to this guy David who was very helpful and kind. Like both of them went the extra mile to help me. My believe in AF was therefore salvaged.
Gotta go not... have to meet a friend who is getting married. We will try and find the florist who made my bouquet so she can do hers too.

2 kommentarer:

Unknown sa...

Good luck with the jobhunt.
As you probably already know, ther is a severe shortage of psychiatrists in Sweden. Even in the major cities as Stockholm, Göteborg, Malmö there are positions available.

There is no special book for psychiatric trainees. Most of us read articles and reference literature, for example the books mentioned below.

Medical students use mostly "Psykiatri" by Jan-Otto Ottosson. It covers both psychopatology, diagnostics, pharmacological treatment, legal issues and basics of psychological treatment. There is also "dymanisk psykiatri" by Johan Cullberg which has more information about psychosocial factors in pathology and treatment. Cullberg's book is more influense from psychodynamic theraphy.

During traineeship most trainees attend 3 or more SK-kurser which is courses on various subjects eg "modern treatment of psychosis", "transcultural psychiatry" an so on. Usually 4-5 days.

There is no exam for trainees but instead there are learning goals and checkpoints detailed in a curriculum.

Good luck with finding work in Stockholm. We need more psychiatrist for sure!

LostInTransnation sa...

Thanks a lot! This is helpful information and you have been so encouraging. Now I will go around smiling and thinking positive things.
You've made my day! Thanks!