söndag 12 oktober 2008

Nostalgia, make-up and cowardly anger

Been to town to meet a friend from my homeland. It was great to see someone I could relate to on a professional level and who also knew me personally. Been reading Shantaram. Actually finished reading it last night. What a great book! I have not enjoyed a book so much for so long. So well written. I wonder how he could write so that the reader wants to go on reading... just flipping the pages. Not like the deckare that seem to fill the shelves of bookstores here in Stockholm. 
We took a walk in town. It was a beautiful sunny day today. warm, but with the frisk autumn air keeping the nip in the air. 
I went into Åhléns City. Looking for a make up brush. You know, one of those thinck short ones that look so pretty and look like they feel so soft.  Given that this is not my forte, I was ready to ask the ladies in the make up booths for help. I was helpfully shown a beautiful brush, just the thing I was looking for. Joy filled my heart nad my face lit up, but I soon came crushing down... it cost 459kr! ! ! That is more than 50 Usd! For a make up brush! Okay, that brush, however great it looks and feels, is definitely not for me. 
Who buys a make up brush for that kind of money! I mean, it is definitely not a business tool. It is not going to make me any money! Why would I buy it at that price? I am still beaten when I think of the price of that brush... and it was not gold plated either. 
Called husband dear. He is in a land far a way. He was grumpy and I regretted calling him. Now I will wait for him to call.
Almost lost my cool just a few minutes ago. Just when I was starting to write the first line, my "bonus barn" came in. Having replied cooly, almost frostily to my cheery "Hi" she headed for the fridge. "Finns det ingen mjölk?!" she asked in a whining tone. I have just finished off the last. I replied. "Man måste äter flingor till frukost och det finns ingenting att äter dem med."  She said. But of course there was a lot of yoghurt... "Kan du inte gå och handla sen det vad du som tog slut på den? " ...Or something like that, said in more correct Swedish of course. Well, I really get retad av that swedish expression. "Kan du inte". I am sure it is part of my lostness in translation. It just seems so rude. Why, is there no phrase in the Swedish language that says something like the equivalent of "Would you please buy some more milk" ? And what is this about since you are the one who finished the food, milk or whatever, then you have to buy more? Well, I said that I would go and buy the milk, even if it had not been me who'd finished it, I would stil go and buy it. Now, I am left, my cowardly self who is unable to stand up for myself, to to going out on this autumn evening all the way to the grocery store to buy a packet of milk. Well I guess the child, who has egna ben and ll would die of one day without milk for breakfast.
On a more positive note, tomorrow I start looking for a job! 

Inga kommentarer: